Tough Ol' Broad

 Born in the great depression,

1928.

My Grandmother is, 

as my dad would say, 

a "tough ol' broad."

Surviving World War II, Vietnam,

911, Brain Surgery, 

Corona Virus, and so much more.

She definitely is a 

"tough ol' broad."

She has experienced so much 

illness, loss, and hardship

yet

she built a legacy. 

She has seven children, 

Twenty-two grandchildren

Sixty great-grandchildren

and 

Three great-great-grandchildren. 

And in all of these numbers,

all of these people,

she always knew how to make each of us feel special,

individual,

seen. 

She remembered all of our names,

went to all of her grandchildren's 

high school graduations 

and weddings. 

She remembered everyone's birthday and 

went to sporting events and plays. 

She did anything she could to support her family. 


She would call me

"my girl."

and even though she called other's the same thing,

I always felt safety and warmth in that name, 

the way she said it,

full of love.

She would make sure we never went hungry,

always had soft pajamas and warm blankets,

always had toys and crayons and games. 

No one ever got bored at Grandma's house. 

I loved hearing the stories of 

ax handle scare tactics and 

tubing even though she didn't know how to swim.

I loved sitting in silence

with her playing Candy Crush

while I read my book. 

I loved spending weekends after her brain surgery

reminding her to take her medication

and helping her do her hair. 

She is so much more than just a 

"tough ol' broad."

She is everything,

everything I hope to be one day. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Teacher in America

I Don't Feel Like Myself Lately