A Reflection

 2020 has not been anyone's year and it has surely come with its challenges. 

First of all, we all have a global pandemic to deal with. This pandemic has changed life as we know it and many of us have experienced a lot of anxiety, stress, loss, unemployment, eviction, etc. as a result. I, for one, did not expect to be teaching online or in a hybrid model this year and, let me tell you, being teacher during a global pandemic is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. Like many, I was also faced with the countless hours feeling trapped at home, not being able to go to the store, not being able to see my family or friends in person, having to cancel big plans and trips, and overall changing how I go about my everyday life. I also had to face the constant anxiety and fear of going into public, teaching in person (even at 50% capacity), and doing anything I can to follow the guidelines and preventative measures I need to to keep myself and those around me safe. It is definitely not easy to live and teach in this pandemic. 

On the other side of things, there has been some good to come out of this dumpster fire of a year. 

1. I escaped a tough living situation with people that I thought were my friends but turned out to be huge bullies who really did  not care about me at all. I am now living in a safe and calm environment in a neighborhood that I really love. 

2. I was able to spend a lot of time with my significant other and grew a lot closer in to him. It is amazing how much this pandemic has thrown at the two of us and how we have come out on the other end stronger still and so full of love for one another.  

3. Even though I had to cancel my European travels, I was still able to travel locally and camp, kayak, and hike in so many truly beautiful places around Wisconsin and Minnesota. 

4. I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and baking and have been able to really experiment with new recipes. I have also been able to make and reminisce in some of my favorite childhood foods with recipes from my mom and grandmother. 

5. I adopted a new, old man cat this summer and have enjoyed all of the extra time I have had at home with both of my cats. They have a very unique dynamic, but it has been fun watching them both grow and adapt to one another. I have also found more time to play with them, snuggle with them, and give them plenty of pets and treats. 

6. Even from a distance, I feel I have grown a lot closer or been able to reconnect with some of my family members and friends through these trying times. It is amazing to feel connected and loved by others when you are unable to see them or hug them. 

7. I completed my coursework for my master's degree and am in the process of applying for my special education teaching license. Teaching and working on grad school at the same time has always been difficult, but during this pandemic, even more so. It feels great to have accomplished something that was so difficult to do. 

8. I have grown to really cherish and appreciate little things that I have never noticed before, such as taking my time in the mornings to complete little tasks that set me up for success throughout my day. I have also realized that I need to take more breaks and find more time to do things that bring me joy, especially when I am stressed. 

9. After George Floyd was murdered just a few miles away from where I live, I rediscovered my love and passion for being an activist and advocate for the causes and injustices that I have always felt so strongly about. And with that, Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the election and I feel hopeful for real change during their time in office.

10. I have developed a stronger appreciation for small, local, and BIPOC owned businesses and my significant other and I now reserve every tuesday to order out dinner from a small, local business that we hope to help keep in business. 

Overall, 2020 was a huge dumpster fire for everyone, but what has come out of the ashes of this horrendous year has truly been beautiful. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Teacher in America

Tough Ol' Broad

I Don't Feel Like Myself Lately